CEDESOL is committed to empowering the disempowered.
Our mission is to transform lives and protect the environment by equipping people with the tools they need to make better decisions about their lives. All our activities are based on three key foundations:
| Alternative Education,
|| Renewable Energy
||and Social Justice.
CEDESOL aims to be a leader in the dissemination and implementation of creative energy solutions, improving the quality of life of impoverished communities in rural Bolivia while preserving the natural environment.
Integrated solar and efficient biomass cooking systems have the potential to revolutionize the way people live and work. Through reducing their dependency on biomass and LPG gas, ecological cookers empower communities as they gain energy independence, financial liberty and greater freedom from activities such as cooking and collecting fuelwood. In the long term, they also have the potential to improve the health of participants, particularly women and children, and benefit the environment at both a local and global level.
CEDESOL believes that real technology transfer is as much about social issues as it is about technology. For a technology to be sustainable it requires community support, an informed understanding of its workings and it needs to serve a practical purpose. Ecological cookers meet the need for more effective, healthy and sustainable cooking methods, but new technologies are often met with cultural resistance. However, when their introduction is coupled with intensive, ongoing training and support programs, the individual becomes invested in the technology. From that point, individuals, families and communities "own the technology" and possess the confidence to modify it to fit local and individual needs. They now have the potential to expand their horizons, network with others and innovate, thus inspiring community development and individual empowerment.
- Design, manufacture and distribute the highest quality solar and efficient biomass technology;
- Provide education, training, consulting services, and technical assistance to communities to improve their social and economic conditions;
- Integrate environmental education into all community based programs to support sustainable harvesting of biomass fuel and reduce reliance on fossil fuels;
- Promote and commercialize products developed by local craftspeople and small businesses;
- Collaborate with local, regional, and national governments, as well as with international organizations, other NGOs, and businesses that support our mission;
- Promote the development of micro-finance enterprises to make the purchase of appropriate, life changing technology available to all.
Institutional Lines of Action
- Ecological Cooking Systems Program,
- The Center for Development in Alternative Technologies,
- PROALDE - Dehydrated Food Products Program,
- Courses and training workshops
Learn more about the benefits of ecological cookers to the population .